Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Launch of Gallery Pantone 278

In an effort to avoid the obvious April Fools jokes, I actually waited until after midnight to post my very first blog about my new art gallery -- Gallery Pantone 278.



Every few days I'll be posting a short blog about the gallery, including how I got to this point and where this thing is headed, and probably a whole lot of other stuff you may or may not have interest in.



Unlike this blog, the idea of an art gallery did not materialize late at night, in a sleep deprived state with absolutely no idea what I was doing (okay, that last point is debatable). The seeds of what will become Gallery Pantone 278 were probably sewn some time back in 1983 with my first visit to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, fermented over bottles of wine with my good friend Beth Wilson, and finally sprung into life with the encouragement of Ashley Lathe and James Mathis.



My goal for Pantone 278 is to create a place in Charlotte where artists and those interested in art, and even those who aren't, can gather to discuss, appreciate or just look at art. I want the gallery to be a social place where everyone, no matter their experience with art, will feel comfortable exploring their notions and perceptions of art.



There will be 6 shows this summer, each focusing on a different local or regional emerging artist. These shows will be held in connection with the Historic South End Gallery Crawl held on the first Friday of each month with the inaugural show launching on May 1, 2009.


And with that...Gallery Pantone 278 was born.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you Marc! This is just awesome. Sheila Mullen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I know a local artist who has shown in some Charlotte galleries. How would I go about getting him in your gallery lineup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc, this sounds wonderful...can't wait to come by.
    Best wishes for great success! Fay Miller

    ReplyDelete