Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What Do I Know About Art?

Without a doubt, the one question I have been asked the most (beside, so do you think it's a good idea to be launching an art gallery in the middle of a recession?) is what made me want to open an art gallery?





Nate Moore

As I have admitted before, I have no formal art background. I never took an art class, haven't painted since elementary school, and still struggle with the distinction between art and craft. But during the first few years out of law school I developed a strong interest in contemporary art, hanging out with my good friend Beth Wilson at the Ty Stokes Gallery, owned by collectors Bill and Su Su Bounds, in the Castleberry Hill Historic Arts District in Atlanta. This was a place where all types of people would sit around, drink wine, and discuss art or whatever else crossed our minds. It was a welcome break from discussing the intricacies of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 at work.
Sol Lewitt

My first art purchase was a work on paper from the ArtStar project, a collaboration between Atlanta artist Scott Ingram and New York artist Drew Benson. (I'm trying to talk Scott into doing a show some time this summer. I am continuously impressed by his work.) My second purchase was a Donald Sultan silkscreen from a Paris Review art auction. I have since collected works from Nate Moore, Sol LeWitt, Tom Benton, Ken Burns, Jack Stoddart, Marcia McDade McMann, Scott Avett, Ashley Lathe and others. Some of my favorite works, however, are photographs taken by my friends on our trips to the mountains of North Carolina and Colorado, which I display proudly in my home.



Scott Ingram

Drawing on my experience in Atlanta, and the desire to bring that environment to Charlotte, I helped found the Contemporaries at the McColl Center for Visual Art in 2007. It's been great to see that group continue to develop over two short years. In addition, I serve on the board of directors of the McColl Center, am the chairperson of the Young Donor Society of the Arts & Science Council, and recently served on the ASC's Annual Fund Drive cabinet.


Scott Avett
In the end, I simply enjoy the experience of viewing, discussing, exploring, and being surrounded by contemporary art. I think that art should be accessible to all, and a gallery should be a place to explore our own perceptions of art. In addition to the artists above, I consider my favorites to include Morris Louis, Ellsworth Kelly, William Hopper, and Chuck Close, but above all else I look forward to working with emerging artists to share with visitors to my gallery.

1 comment:

  1. I can see a bit of Chuck Close in this, but more of your own style. I like it.

    ReplyDelete