Sunday, April 5, 2009

What's in a name?

Basking in the glow of a Carolina blue day and one win away from another Carolina national championship, what better time than now to explain the meaning behind the name Gallery Pantone 278?

Many of my fellow Tar Heel alumni have already pointed out that Pantone 278 is the official color code for Carolina Blue. When I conceived of the gallery, one name immediately came to mind, and what better way to pay tribute to one of my most favorite diversions? But have no fear my friends whose school colors were not chosen by God himself, there will be no Carolina Blue bias at Pantone 278. In fact, my first artist is a proud graduate of East Carolina University.

Alternate Name: While Pantone 278 seemed like such a natural fit, I also considered calling it the Ellsworth Billman Gallery. Ellsworth Billman was my maternal great grandfather, who was killed in a bank robbery.

Ellsworth, his brother Elmer and their father established The Bank of Kaleva in 1912, and through much hard work survived Black Friday and the ensuing Great Depression. But on January 5, 1933, four men held up the bank in the small northern Michigan town. During the robbery, Great Grandpa Ellsworth was shot and killed. The four men got away with $3,000 but were captured three days later and sentenced to life in prison. A book and movie, called "Car 99", were written about the robbery.

As a kid, I loved hearing my grandmother Doris Billman Gustafson tell stories about her twin father and uncle. This alternative name was also a way for me to pay tribute to my grandmother, who developed a love for art-making while courageously battling cancer during my formative years. I trace my interest in art to the enjoyment and peace art brought to her.

I struggled with the choice, but after much thought, I chose Pantone 278. I know Grandma is proud either way.

1 comment:

  1. Love the name...nice work. And now I want to check out car 99. Looking forward to seeing it when I get up to Charlotte next.

    ReplyDelete